A Winter's Tale

A Winter's Tale by Queen



Winter has been a mix of rain, snow, and ice. We've had some 30's and 40's which people here consider warm for this time of year but we've also had some mornings of -10.



I have been in the habit of wearing my ice cleats when I walk to the bus stop. I did that after some close calls. There are some days that the snow plows scrape the street to almost a hockey rink smoothness and depending on the hockey rink smoother.

I took cross country ski lessons and I see why so many people quit. It is really physically demanding and it works some muscles that you don't work by running or doing other activities. I like being out in nature, learning, trying something new. So, I'm going to keep trying. I think Gracen would like the Little Nordic skiers but it's too late in the season for this year. I bought ice skates for the boys and myself and I got them sharpened but we haven't made it out to skate.



In Alaska, we have ravens in parking lots. I liken them to seagulls in Florida because they always hang out in public spaces and pick at the garbage.

I couldn't find the picture of the raven I took, sorry

About three weeks ago I took the boys snowmachining with my buddy Tony and his girls out on Lake Nancy, which I learned is the largest fresh water public lake in Alaska. James and Gracen had fun but Gracen's chapped lip started bleeding and he freaked out. I calmed him down with some Chapstick. The fastest I got was around 80mph, which was fun but I was always a bit afraid I's hit a bump or someone might have cut an ice hole to fish. James lost interest quick deciding to play his tablet in the warmth of the car. That was fine with me except he plugged his tablet into the car and drained the battery so I couldn't start it. Luckily my friend Sara let me use her car to drive to a gas station in Willow, AK and buy jumper cables. I then jumped the car and left it running. Late in the afternoon we grilled some steak and hotdogs that were delicious.




The days are getting longer and we are almost at the point where our days are "normal" for daylight, 8am to 5pm. I am always awed by the sun rising up from behind the mountains and the reflection of the setting sun across them. Today was the first day that they canceled school and it wasn't because of snow it was because freezing rain. I guess ice on the roads is more worrisome than cold or snow.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seasons - Turn, Turn, Turn

My Morning Jacket

(Don't Eat the) Yellow Snow