Jingle Bell (Rock) Run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itcMLwMEeMQ - Jingle Bell Rock by Bobby Helms

It's one of the busiest times of the year so I haven't written as much as I wanted to. Last Saturday, I did the Jingle Bell Run at the University of Alaska Anchorage to raise money for the Arthritis Foundation. I wish I had brought the kids because they had Home Depot crafts, Santa, hot cocoa, doughnuts, and much more. One of the employees that I manage, Kathryn was there and it was fun to hang out with her before the race.

As a Florida boy I am not versed in the ways of running in Alaska during the late Fall / Winter. I wore my base layers (wool long underwear), running shorts, running shirt, and a hoodie. I did not own any ice cleats, especially ones that are used for running. The blue shoes are mine and as you can see this lovely lady with the long socks has some nice ice cleats.



The race started on a slippery ice surface but transitioned quickly to sidewalks with gravel, then compact snow trails, some rough ice, and finally slush snow. There were uphills, downhills, narrow sections, and some road sections. I didn't stop and kept good control of my breathing. I wasn't breaking any personal records but I was proud of myself. The hoodie turned out to be too much, I was sweating bad. My phone cannot handle the cold at all. I had it charged to 80% but .8 miles in the battery said it had died. After the race when I plugged it in, it said it had 70% battery. This has happened before and it always has to do with how cold the phone is.

Around Anchorage we had several weeks of warmer than usual weather. The snow all melted away but would then freeze overnight into slick ice. It sucked to try to drive on and sucked worse to try to walk on. I busted my ass trying to take the garbage can out. I tried to go buy ice cleats but were told that the ones I wanted were all sold out at all locations, which reminds me I need to call them back to see if they received any more.

On Thursday it started snowing again and I was like a little kid. I mentioned to James that watching all the snow melt away was really depressing but that I was super excited to have the snow back. He said he felt the same way. I noticed as I drove around this weekend that the south and east parts of town were getting a lot more snow than we were.

James had his first Orchestra concert and he did a great job. Here is his, I just want to go home now face. Soon we will be heading to Florida to see family and friends for Christmas and New Year's Day. While I am happy to go get some Vitamin D in the Sunshine State I'll miss my opportunity for my first White Christmas. Oh well, someday, I know that Lorrie and the kids really want to be with grandparents and not have to be under blankets. Maybe we will go to the beach it's supposed to be in the 80's.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seasons - Turn, Turn, Turn

My Morning Jacket

(Don't Eat the) Yellow Snow